Hydrogard S is a single-component, colourlessly drying preparation based on silanes and siloxanes in a solvent-based system, applicable for waterproofing of absorptive substrates of concrete, reinforced concrete used in road and bridge constructions, railroads, hydraulic inland and marine engineering objects, and in general constructions, including commercial, industrial and housing constructions as well as sports arenas and airport apron areas.
Areas of application:
Hydrogard S is used for surface hydrophobation of absorptive substrates such as concrete, reinforced concrete, mortar, cement and calcareous plaster, concrete and fibre-reinforced-cement slabs, unglazed bricks, natural stone and sandstone. The product can also be used for hydrophobation or priming underneath water-based or solvent-based paints and the KTX 07 anti-graffiti coating. Due to a wide range of available paints, it is recommended, before paint application, to conduct a trial upon the hydrophobised substrate.
Key product qualities:
- Excellent hydrophobic properties
- Easily applicable – ready to use
- Waterproof within two hours after application
- Resistant to atmospheric impact
- Reduces water absorption
- Reduces penetration by harmful substances, incl. aqueous solutions of salts
- Limits appearance of streaks
- Limits moss overgrowth and stops micro-organisms from spreading
- Resistant to UV radiation
- Increases resistance to frost and substrate durability
- Penetrates concrete substrate well
- Does not block pores or capillaries
- Retains water vapour permeability
- Increases electrical resistance
- Improves consumption efficiency of surface coatings
- Increases paint adhesion to the substrate
- Usually does not change the look of the substrate
- Because of its properties, the product facilitates self-cleaning of dirt under the impact of precipitation, therefore the surface remains clean for a long time, which reduces the cost of cleaning and maintenance thus prolonging the time lapses between servicing the surfaces and ensuring the proper aesthetics.
The substrate must be dry, free from any atmospheric impurities, dust, dirt, cement wash, harmful substances, oil and grease, old coatings as well as biological and organic streaks. The surface may be cleaned by means of sandblasting or high-pressure water cleaning. The residue of cleaning substances must be removed thoroughly as they may have adverse influence on Hydrogard S effectiveness. Substrate durability, checked by the „pull-off” method, should amount to at least 1.0 MPa. Construction parts which are not supposed to get into contact with the preparation should be protected (glass panes, wooden and metal elements). Any emerging impurities must be cleaned off with a suitable solvent. Concrete substrate must be seasoned and the substrate age should be no less than 28 days while substrates repaired with PCC-type mortars should be at least 7 days old. Substrate humidity should be below 6%. Before application it is recommended to conduct a test in order to check the interaction between the product and the substrate as well as waterproofing efficiency.
Hydrogard S is in the ready-to-use form.
After opening the container stir the content thoroughly.
Solvents or water MUST NOT be added.
Surrounding temperature +5 to +30°C.
Substrate temperature +5 to +30°C.
Substrate humidity – below 6%.
Relative air humidity – up to 80%.
Drying time – from 4 to 12 hours, depending on type and absorptiveness of the substrate and temperature.
Protect from rain at least for 3 hrs in temp 20°C.
The substrate gains its hydrophobic properties after approx. 2 hrs, depending on the substrate type, absorptiveness, saturation and temperature. The substrate becomes fully hydrophobic after 12 hrs in temp 20°C. Water and solvent-based paints as well as KTX 07 anti-graffiti coating can be applied after a minimum of 5 hrs after the application of the hydrophobic coating on condition that the substrate has dried completely. The preparation must not be used during rain. Hydrogard S can be applied by means of regular painting tools, such as paint roller, brush, or with airless or conventional spray to achieve a saturation level in which the preparation does not drip. On vertical surfaces the preparation should be applied from bottom to top. In order to obtain suitable, evenly-spread and thorough protection, Hydrogard S should be applied in two layers in short intervals, according to the “wet on wet” principle, i.e. the second layer should be applied just before the first layer achieves the point of external dust-dryness within a single working cycle – the substrate should be still wet. The preparation must be applied evenly and thoroughly; negligence may cause local deterioration of hydrophobic effect. Properly applied, Hydrogard S penetrates the substrate and waterproofs the surface thanks to a chemical reaction with the substrate.
Hydrogard S hydrophobic coating effect part 1
Hydrogard S hydrophobic coating effect part 2